Wednesday, June 3, 2009

GROUND BEEF WELLINGTON

This recipe was given to me by my friend Brittany. She got it from allrecipes.com. I was also pleasantly surprised by this recipe. It turned out really good and was pretty easy. My husband didn't think he would like it but ended up loving it. I've added my variation and tips at the end of the recipe. I didn't follow this exactly. I like that I can actually feel comfortable doing my own thing with a recipe. Good feeling.

Ingredients:
3/4 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
1 Tablespoon and 1 1/2 teaspoon butter
1 Tablespoon all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon pepper- divided
3/4 cup half and half or cream of mushroom soup
1 1/2 egg yolk
3 Tablespoons finely chopped onion
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 pound ground beef
1 1/2 packages of crescent rolls or pastry roll
1 1/2 t dried parsley flakes


Directions:
In a saucepan, saute mushrooms in butter until softened. Stir in flour and 1/8 teaspoon pepper until blended. Gradually add the cream or soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove and set aside. In a bowl, combine egg yolk, onion, 2 Tablespoons of the mushroom sauce, salt and remaining pepper. Crumble beef into mixture and mix well. Roll meat mixture up into the pastry roll or crescent rolls. Should make approximately 4 small loaves. Bake at 350 degrees for 24-28 minutes. They should turn a slightly dark,golden brown. I cut them in half to make sure the meat was finished cooking. Warm remaining mushroom sauce and add parsley flakes. Serve sauce over Wellington's.

My variation/tips:
*I used a 1 full cup of mushrooms.
*I used a whole can of cream of mushroom soup and it was super thick. I added about 1/2 can of water. You could probably use milk also.
*I used a full pound of ground beef.
*I used 2 egg yolks.
*I used 2 teaspoons of dried parsley flakes.
*For the dough I used Pillsbury recipe creations (crescent). It comes in a skinny can and is a full sheet of dough. I used two of these. I split the beef mixture in half and spooned it on the sheet and rolled it up. I cut that in half and pinched both ends to make sure it was sealed tightly. After doing this with both dough sheets I had 4 loaves.
*After they were done I cut all 4 loaves in half and served that way.

1 comment:

  1. I made this tonight for the missionaries and they loved it! :o) I used puff pastry dough and whole eggs (not just egg yolks) for the extra protein and it turned out yummy :o) Thanks for the recipe! We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete